Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I baked oatmeal and raisin cookies the other day (with a little help from my husband and my sister), and they turned out rather delicious. It's the first time I tried this recipe -or baked cookies on my own- so we wanted to document it and also share the recipe. This recipe is originally from Epicurious.
Setting up the stage for whatever you're baking or cooking before you begin the actual process is very important, in my opinion. So I gathered up these ingredients on the table:

1 and a half cups all-purpose flour
Half a teaspoon baking soda (1 pack will do)
1 teaspoon salt

Half a teaspoon ground cinnamon
250 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
Half a cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs at room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (1 pack will do)
3 cups rolled oats

1 cup raisins

My eggs weren't at room temperature but D told me not to worry about it, but I think it's good to stick with the recipe most of the time. Anyway- here's the rest of the recipe:

Preheat oven to 175 Celsius degrees or 350 Fahrenheit degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a large bowl (preferably with a paddle attachment on the mixer, both of which I didn't use, I used a wooden spoon), beat the butter until soft and creamy, then beat in both sugars (I figured later on that I could have put less sugar than the recipe asks for. The raisins would make up for it anyway). Beat them together until really smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.

Stirring slowly, or with the mixer on the lowest speed, gradually work in the flour mixture, then the oats and raisins. The dough will feel very stiff.

Drop the dough onto the greased tray or prepared cookie sheets by the heaping tablespoon, placing the cookies about 2 inches apart.

Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown; the longer they bake, the crisper they will be.

Cool the cookies on a wire rack. If the cookies were baked on parchment or a baking mat, simply slide it off the cookie sheet onto the wire rack to cool (this is my favorite part - reminds me of the times when I helped or mostly watched Suzanne bake cookies).

In the end this is how they turned out, and they were tasty, too. A very good basic cookie recipe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liddy's Nursery

Celebration of Life

New blog